Monday, December 12, 2005

The Sound of Thinkering

A while back, I commented on this statement from a list in Brain-Based Learning: Possible Implications for Online Instruction Stephanie A. Clemons:
http://www.itdl.org/Journal/Sep_05/article03.htm
5. Multi-sensory input is desired by our brains.

Passive evasive voice again. Has anyone really gone out and asked brains about their desires? You can ask people about their desires, of course. They probably use some part of their brains to answer. But I suspect that multi-sensory input is way down on the list of what people desire. Probably right down there with smellavision.

What really struck me here was the futility of advocating multi-sensory input by writing papers about it. If you really think multi-sensory input is important, wouldn’t you try to communicate with multi-sensory output?

I have been trying to give the Thinkerer more multi-sensory output. Recently I have been adding audio files (mp3 format). People can download these files and put them on their mp3 players. The content comes from the slogans and sparks available in text form in the Head View venue.

Or people could use the files as examples of how to make homework helpers. Parents might make audio files for their children. Teens might make them for themselves. Entrepreneurial teens might make them for sale to other teens. Entrepreneurial College juniors might make them and sell them on E-Bay. Maybe mixed with jokes and podsafe music.

To help other people get started, I put in a brief explanation of how I used my Creative MuVo N2000 for recording and Audacity (free software) for editing. Since I already had the MuVo, the arrangement was cost free. I have a microphone, so I could have used Audacity for recording. I tried that, but it picked up too much fan noise from my computer.

Of course, doing things is a lot harder than writing about them. Which is probably why people prefer to write about the need for multi-sensory inputs to the brain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home