Monday, February 20, 2006

Hassle-Free Homework (3)

At the end of the last episode, our mythical parent, P. A. Rant, had started on a problem-solving effort (Problems as Homework) with this goal:

My child would do the homework routinely with little or no prodding.

P. A. had reached the following question on the solving path:

4. Where do I start?
Who could tell me about how other people handled the problem
?

P. A. checks the web. Searching Google for homework hassle gets 627,000 returns. Another search, for child schedule homework gets 3,850,000 returns. P. A. begins to suspect that the web has more information about the subject than anyone could use. (Everything has been thought of before. The problem is finding it when you need it.)

But P. A. does notice some common patterns. One common recommendation is to develop a schedule. This recommendation gives P. A. a new appreciation for the expression “Easier said than done.” But P. A. has already worked with the child on Semi-Structured Brainstorming. Both the method and the child’s experience are available as resources. Furthermore, P. A. understands that a schedule will be effective only if it becomes a family policy.

The power of positive policies offers background on this understanding. Family policies gives a step-by-step path for developing a family policy with the aid of Semi-Structured Brainstorming. And the Startalittle trick gives a specific suggestion that some people (including adults) have found useful.

5. Route: How I will get what I want (Initial plan, trial run)
P. A. I will do these things myself:

I will help the child develop a homework schedule with help from the plan in Family policies.

P. A.: I will pay attention to the child’s homework environment and study practices to see if I can find ways to make them work better for study. Best Practices Clipit ; Study Skills Ratem.

P. A.: I will arrange for some way to know that the child is on schedule in time to intervene before it is too late.

I will get somebody to do these things.

P. A.: Teacher. I will ask the teacher for a weekend forecast of the homework for the next week and for guidance as to how I can tell when it is done properly. How? I will offer to help with internet arrangements as needed. Examples: provide a scanner to the school, offer to set up a blog, website, or e-mailing list to distribute the forecast to all parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home